Our Services (select a service)
The ultimate goal for the individual and the Shared Living Provider is to establish a mutually-supportive relationship…
Shared Living serves adults with developmental disabilities who are in need of a welcoming home that can provide ongoing support. The person is matched by Venture with an individual or family who has been recruited and screened as a Shared Living Provider.
As part of Venture’s responsibility to place an individual into a Shared Living Provider’s home, the agency recruits, screens, trains and provides ongoing support to the Provider. The Provider is expected to meet the needs of the individual through a person-centered plan which is designed to respect the unique needs and wishes of each person served.
Becoming a Shared Living Provider
Venture is currently seeking compassionate, supportive caregivers (preferably households with no children) in Central, North Central and Southeastern Massachusetts who are willing to share their homes and lives with an adult with developmental disabilities. Orientation, training, respite care, and a tax-free annual stipend are provided to Shared Living Providers.
Eligibility to Become a Shared Living Provider
- Age 21 or older;
- Possess a valid driver’s license;
- Successful completion of a CORI, RMV and OIG background check;
- Own or rent your own home or an apartment;
- Able to provide personal care;
- Provider may be employed elsewhere;
Shared Living Provider Guidelines
- Provide the Individual with a safe, clean, and comfortable home;
- Assist with and schedule the individual’s medical and dental appointments;
- Ensure that physician recommendations are being fulfilled;
- Administer medications if needed;
- Assist with cultivation of daily living skills;
- Develop a relationship with participants based on mutual respect;
- Foster community involvement, social development and positive relationship building;
- Assist individual in maintaining their relationships with families and or guardian, if needed;
- Ensure the overall well-being of the participant and welcome them into the family unit;
Caregivers receive orientation, training, respite support, monthly in-home visits with a case manager, as well as a tax-free annual stipend.
For more information about the Shared Living Program, please contact Engle Torres, Shared Living Coordinator 978-914-3550
How Do I Become a Shared Living Provider
- Apply online Here
- The Program Coordinator will review the application and contact you
- Once the application is approved, you will be required to fill out a CORI, OIG and RMV background check
- Upon completion and receipt of an approved background check, a home visit will be scheduled to qualify your home
- The Program Coordinator will then determine if you and your home qualify to be part of the program according to DDS regulations.
When Can I Expect to Have an Individual Matched with Me?
After becoming an approved Shared Living Provider, the Program Director will begin working to make the best possible match for both the individual and the provider. While it is our hope to place an individual with you as quickly as possible, we want to be mindful in our matching process in order to be successful in developing a mutually supportive and long lasting relationship.
Can’t Commit to Being a Full Time Shared Living Provider? You Can Become a Respite Provider.
A Respite Provider receives a paid stipend to:
- Provide respite to Shared Living Providers when they are in need of taking time away from the individual they have living with them. The respite provided may cover the Shared Living Provider’s vacation, personal or family time.
- Provide respite to individuals who may be in transition from one home to another.
- Provide respite to individuals whose current home situation is being disrupted by an unforeseen emergency or other circumstances.
The Respite Provider can provide respite care to individuals in their homes or if requested in the Shared Living Providers home.
Eligibility Requirements to Become A Respite Provider are the same as outlined for the Shared Living Provider.